THOUGHT OF THE DAY: Stories are everywhere! Think like a journalist: How many stories have you seen since the first day of school?
Please Do Now:
- On a blank sheet of paper, brainstorm at least 5 things that have happened (or are happening) since school started that you think other students at MBSH would want to read about.
- What makes these stories interesting for people at MBSH?
Today students will:
- Review policies and prodecures of Journalism I: Reminder to buy a voice recorder ASAP!
- Share Name-A-Grams and Journalism profiles.
- Learn to post photos to this site.
Tonight’s homework is:
- Purchase a voice recorder by Monday (preferably a digital one with a USB connection)
- If you haven’t yet, comment back to yesterday’s post with your Name-A-Gram.
- Point your browser to http://www.wordpress.com and click on the green “Sign Up Now!” button
- Select a username and password. Your username should be your first name and the first letter of your last name, follower by the year you will graduate from Miami Beach Senior High. EXAMPLE: JohnD2010. You will have to give me your password, so make it something different from other passwords you use.
- Enter your email address.
- Click on the “Legal Flotsam” and “Gimme a blog!” boxes and move to the next page.
- Leave the blog domain field as it is. The blog title should reflect your username. EXAMPLE: JohnD2010’s Weblog. Make sure the language is set to “en-English” and that the “Privacy” box is checked.
- Click on the “Signup>>” button.
- Open the email you will use for this class
- Print out your wordpress.com confirmation email and bring it to class tomorrow
- Make sure you and your parent are signed up on the Beachcombers Unite social network.
- Please make sure you and your parents have a clear photo uploaded, and that you use your full names, so I know who is related to whom (and memorize your names faster)!
- Make sure you and your parent are signed up for the “Latest Events” email list under the IMPORTANT: SIGN UP! header (I checked it – it works from outside the school)
- Make sure you are signed up on the Journalism I group and your parent is signed up on the Parents group.
- Make sure you have electronically signed the syllabus on this blog, and that your parent has electronically signed the syllabus inside the Parents group.
Welcome to Mr. Weiss’ Journalism I class. Please, silently take your seat at a computer according to the seating chart.
Please Do Now:
- Log onto your computer (username and password are 7201student)
- Open Internet Explorer and point your browser to https://weissjournalism1.wordpress.com
- Make a “Name-A-Gram” for yourself in the comment box and post the comment.
Today, students will:
- Learn to navigate a wordpress.com weblog
- Review the course syllabus to learn the policies and procedures of Journalism I
Tonight’s homework is:
- Electronically sign the syllabus by posting your full name and today’s date as a comment to the syllabus page
- Get a valid personal email address (Free email accounts are available at mail.yahoo.com)
- Get your parent a valid personal email address
- Point your browser to http://weissjournalism.ning.com (Beachcombers Unite)
- Click on the “Sign Up” link in the upper-righthand column and follow the instructions to complete your profile. Please answer all of the questions.
- Click on the “Invite” tab of Beachcombers Unite.
- Enter the email address of at least one parent / guardian
- Upload a photo of yourself to your Beachcombers Unite profile
- Subscribe to Latest Events by email by clicking the link under “IMPORTANT: SIGN UP!” and following the instructions
- Help your parent sign up for Beachcombers Unite
- Help your parent upload a photo and answer the required profile questions
- Help your parent join the “parents” group
- Help your parent e-sign the syllabus
- Help your parent subscribe to Latest Events by email by clicking the link under “IMPORTANT: SIGN UP!” and following the instructions